Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish
Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish is a thick, jam-like condiment whose uses go far beyond the Thanksgiving table.
My favorite thing about “holiday food” is cranberries. I love cranberry sauce, cranberry relish, cranberry muffins, cranberry everything. I think they’re incredibly beautiful and I love their super tart-tangy flavor. So, when I saw this Roasted Cranberry Sauce from Bon Appétit in my Instagram feed the other day, I knew I had to make it. After all, it combines my favorite cooking method (roasting) with my favorite holiday ingredient. But, as luck would have it, cranberries are still fairly expensive right now, so I decided to sub half the cranberries with apples (more than half apples, really) and changed up the seasonings to be apple-pie-ish. I’m absolutely loving the results. Roasting the apple cranberry relish in the oven makes a thick, jam-like relish that is deep and flavorful. It almost reminds me of a chutney.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN
COOK TIME: 55 MIN
YIELD: 2 CUPS
- 12 oz bag fresh cranberries
- 3 medium apples* (about 1.5 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Wash the cranberries and place them in a large 8×13-inch casserole dish (2-3 quart dish). Peel, core, and cut the apples into cubes roughly the same size as the cranberries. Place the cubed apples in the dish with the cranberries.
- To the apples and cranberries add the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice. Toss the ingredients together until well combined.
- Roast the fruit in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until it is a thick, jam-like consistency. Stir the mixture once at 30 minutes, and again at 45 minutes to check doneness. Taste the relish and adjust the sugar or lemon juice if needed. Serve warm or refrigerate for later.
Recipe Curated From: BudgetBytes.com
Photo Credit: ?? If you know who took this photo we want to credit them
Link to original article: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/roasted-cranberry-sauce-practically-makes-itself