Real Southern Cornbread Dressing
Moist and delicious, cornbread dressing makes the perfect side dish!
PREP TIME: 15 MIN
COOK TIME: 45 MIN
YIELD: 12 SERVINGS
- 1 full recipe of your favorite cornbread
- 3 piece sliced sandwich bread or 3 buttermilk biscuits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage optional
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 cup butter sliced
- 4 cups cream of chicken soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Crumble all of the cornbread and biscuits (or white bread slices) into a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, eggs, onion, celery, butter, cream of chicken soup, and chicken stock. Stir until well-combined.
- Pour dressing into two 9×13 baking dishes and bake until lightly browned, about 30 – 45 minutes. To test doneness, shake casserole dish lightly. If the center of the dressing moves, then the dressing is not cooked through in the center. Continue to bake until the dressing is set throughout.
You can pour dressing into two smaller casserole dishes to reduce cooking time to about 35 minutes. I like to do this for one pan with onions and the other without for those who do not like onions.
Make-ahead Cornbread Dressing Tips:
– Make cornbread for your dressing the day before. Wrap it up tightly until ready to mix your dressing.
– Mix up all of your dressing up to two days ahead of the big day. Wrap it up tightly and place in your refrigerator.
– Freezer-Friendly – prepare without baking up to two weeks in advance, wrap tightly and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator two days in advance and bake on Thanksgiving Day.
Day of tips:
– Bake your dressing early in the morning and then place in the refrigerator. While your turkey is resting, place your dressing back in the oven to thoroughly reheat.
Recipe Curated From: add a pinch.com
Photo Credit: Robyn ??
Link to original article: https://addapinch.com/southern-cornbread-dressing/